The fall of the Berlin Wall - 25 years anniversary
No single event has influenced the German history as much as the fall of the Berlin Wall between East and West Germany 25 years ago. In Berlin, the citizens gathered at the Brandenburg Gate and Checkpoint Charlie. The mainly peaceful revolution of the people on 9th November 1989 was all along the border line and ended successfully with the opening of the border.
Every person who witnessed this moving piece of history has to tell their own story. Christiane Molzen, Director of the relexa hotel Berlin, remembers the 9th November 1989.
Be there when Berlin invites you to this occasion of the 25th anniversary with many cultural events in commemoration of the divided Germany:
- On 9th November 2014 a chain of lights will separate Berlin once again
The organisation "cultural projects in Berlin" has designed this chain of lights to empathise and commemorate the fall of the Berlin Wall. Based on an idea by Christopher and Marc Bauder the border line will be made visible on 9th November 2014 with bright balloons.
- Exciting tours along the East Side Gallery
During these guides tours Berlin visitors get the opportunity to learn about the history, see images and and get updated information on the East Side Gallery. Guided tours are on request in German, English and French. Book your one-hour guided tour with the artists of the East Side Gallery. Minimum 10 people. Please request here dates and guides tours online.
- Get a special insight into the East German everyday life in the GDR museum
Go back in time and immerse yourself into East Germany everyday life. Very close to the Alexanderplatz is the GDR museum, which is always open from Monday to Sunday 10am until 8pm. Admission is per adults € 7.00 and the reduced admission is € 4.00. Save money when you book online -Tickets from € 5.00. More information about the GDR museum.
- We recommend
- Since the Wall came down 25 years ago, the capital is booming. Berlin's company were encouraged to tell their story to the public. Please read our contribution here:
- If you want to learn more about the former border line, you can join the guided bike tours along the former border: tip - take advantage of our cycling through Berlin offer and we ensure your bike is waiting for you on arrival.
- Visit the Berlin Wall park as well as Bernauer Strasse
- History to touch: Where can you find today still pieces of the Berlin wall? the rare testimonies of German division
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us. Our team at the relexa hotel will be happy to assist you with any questions about directions, prices and much more. Please call +49 (0) 30 - 264830 or by email email@example.com.