Foundation Escape, Expulsion, Reconciliation" at the Martin Gropius Bau
The Deutschland Haus (German House), built between World War one and World War two, was once a lively passage with many shops and small businesses between Mehringdamm and Potsdamer Platz. The complex with the Europa Haus was completed in 1931, and it served as a meeting place for Berlin's population and travelers. During the Second World War, however, the house was severely destroyed. In 1960, after a partial reconstruction, the government under Adenauer passed the building to the organization of people who were expelled from their country, and it was used as a seat to maintain East German culture. After the construction of the Berlin Wall, the German House, as it was officially known from 1974, was often the first stop for refugees from the GDR.
A historical place of encounter
More than 40 years later, a building emerged again on the Askanischen Platz. On 17 October 2016, the documentation center at the Anhalter Bahnhof celebrated the expansion of the German House. After completion, the building designed by the architects Marte.Marte, has over 3000 square meters distributed over three floors. The ideal space to provide for a new permanent exhibition. The theme of homelessness, which has grown out of history, is at the center of this exhibition. The Federal Foundation Escape, Expulsion, Reconciliation offers exhibitions, events and information exchange. Further to the permanent exhibition, are additional temporary exhibitions as well as enjoy the public reading room with a library.
Please find more information about the Foundation Escape, Expulsion, Reconciliation on the official homepage.